Friday, September 28, 2007

Forty Years On

"Forty years on, when afar and asunder,
Parted are those who are singing today.
When you look back, and forgetfully wonder,
What you were like in your work and your play.
Then it may be, it will often come o'er you,
Glimpses of notes like the catch of a song. . .
Visions of boyhood will carry them along."

That's an old song that our long-suffering music teacher, Mrs. Mulligan, used to instill into groups of spotty teenagers. I may not be the brightest spark in the flame, but i do have a good - an exceptionally good - memory. I thought.

Yesterday's visitors included Mrs. Campbell from Reefton and one of her daughters. I did know the face, but could not remember her name! I made a couple of attempts and then she had to tell me. Sheesh - Embarrassing! I went to school with Vivianne for 11 years - primer 1 to Form 6 (yrs.1 to 12).

How could i forget her name? What was worse, my Girl, Tracey, arrived 1/2 an hour later and i told her that, "this was an old school-friend, Yvonne." IDIOT!

(Funny I don'r remember being forgetful).

Could this be a senior moment? DAMM!

Anyway, apart from that, it was really great to see you, VIVIANNE.

The others in the pic are Callum, who came back & spent the day with me - which was cool. His dad's standing behind him and that's my Girl - i hope i never forget her name.

cheers



No comments: